Committee of Ten March 15, 2014
- Meeting called to order. All members present except Joe Hageman.
- Motion made and approved to accept minutes from March 8 meeting.
- Consolidation Plan:
- It was stated that at Catlin’s last board meeting, they eliminated a high school Math teacher and high school Science teacher.
- Facilities report revisited by Bob Wright. It was explained through tables that the legal capacity of classrooms is very different than realistic use of classrooms. Do we really want 35 – 45 students in a room? The answer is no.
- There were concerns about putting the Facilities sub -committee report in consolidation plan because it is simply a recommendation not mandatory for the consolidation to go forward. A motion was made and approved to add as Appendix A.
- Finances: The budget portion of the report shows a savings of around $700,000 in certified and noncertified staff. It also showed a savings of around $60,000 in administration.
i. Charts indicated that the new district would still have considerable fund balances in 2020 as a combined district. Alone, both districts will have depleted their reserves and be left with no resources to offset the decline in revenue and increasing costs.
- It was suggested to add a paragraph in the new course catalog that explains all courses listed may not be available every year. The courses available will be based on student interest and teacher availability.
- It was also suggested that a paragraph be added to explain the budget and what each category actually includes…. Education, building, transportation, working cash, life safety, etc.
- Fred Rinehart stated that he feels this committee must also recommend to the new board that they actively pursue more mergers in the future from day one. This isn’t a forever solution, but one that puts us in a much more favorable position.
- Motion was made to approve the plan with the suggested revisions. Motion carried unanimously.
- Next meeting set for April 1 @ 7:00 pm in Catlin band room.
- All Committee of Ten members were asked to attend the Catlin board meeting on April 2 at 6:00 pm.